Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Yummy Goodness

I'm not a sweet person. (insert laugh here) What I mean is, I never have really liked sweet food- I'll go for the salty food any day - give me a bag of pretzels or popcorn and I'll be happy. (Although chocolate covered pretzels are most likely one of the yummiest foods ever invented. Can you say perfect combination of sweet and salty? Mmmmmm I want some, please.)

Baking-wise, I have always been the queen of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but since I don't really like sweet things, I never made cakes or cupcakes or brownies or anything else very often. However, this last year I've embarked on many new baking adventures. Sometimes I baked for Husband, like the time I made an apple pie. Sometimes I baked for my small group, like the time I made cupcakes, which turned out to be a little dry since I'd never tried them before. My seminar, however, is the the reason I have really started baking more.

Seminar is like homeroom at our school, except for it's like homeroom on steroids. I see the same group of kids every day for all four years of their high school careers. We have different grades in seminar, so kids interact with peers from all groups, and they're not always just with their best buddies. We play games and talk and do logistical stuff like pre-registration, but mostly, we just hang out together. And once a week or so, we eat.

I used to buy donuts every week, or get the kids to donate money towards the cost, but this year I've been trying to make homemade treats for them, since it's a little less expensive. I made a chocolate bundt cake that, by all accounts was yummy. I've made brownies a couple times; no small feat since I think my oven doesn't work properly.

And tonight I'm trying a new adventure of yummy goodness (or at least, I hope it's yummy goodness): the ice cream cone cupcake. I chose Funfetti cake with chocolate Funfetti frosting and am hoping they taste as good as they sound and smell.


I put the cones in the dish, mixed the batter, and filled the cones with the batter.











Now, I'm currently in the baking stage as I write this, and I'm having a hard time with it. Truth be told, the cupcakes have been baking much longer than the recommended time, but they're still very gooey inside, so I keep sticking them back in for longer. I'm a little worried that they're going to end up burned too much on top or dry and yucky, but they're really gooey at this point. So a few more minutes it is.


As you can see, the tops are a bit brown, but finally the goo has settled down a bit. I'm hoping that once frosted, they'll be scrumptious.


Despite my not loving sweets, I'm going to try one and let you know how it is- afterall, I can't take them to Seminar if they're not good! Here's the finished product:

And the verdict is:
Still a tiny bit gooey inside, but overall, they're Yummy Goodness! (I think.)

1 comment:

  1. mmmmm....way to go Becky Home-Ecky! I wish I had a teacher like you when I was in school!

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love! Share with me. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...