Monday, April 19, 2010

Book Collection

Okay, so, are you a decorating guru?

I'm not, but I wish I were. Right now all I've got are decorative dreams, because we're still living with kitchen cabinets in the living room and everything all torn up. Insurance is a wonderful thing, but wow, a pain in the rear end.

The view from my couch. There's supposed to be a nice open space there, a coffee table.... a view to the kitchen and dining room....

But I digress. Back to my decorative dreams.

The other day my bestest buddy Liz and I went to Goodwill to do a little home decor shopping- twas fun. I got a few pieces I plan on painting and altering to make my mantel have a little more depth and color. Love it. Here are some of the before pieces- not where they would really go, because, of course, I basically am stuck on getting the kitchen back together before I do anything else.

I also keep seeing the "color book collections" on others' blogs and am slowly liking the idea more and more. I have these built-in bookshelves in the living room that are okay right now, but I think if we painted the back wall and added some colorful books, they would really pop.


I know, they're pretty boring. A nice rich brown background, some colorful books on the shelves... won't that look better?

Our living room is pretty bland, but Husband painted one wall this really rich brown and our hand-me-down sofa is a subtle tan-gold color with green, gold, and burgundy accents. So.... I'm thinking maybe red and gold books? Or green and gold? Can't have red and green- that would be too Christmas-y.
Please excuse the tests I'm grading and my phone and laptop. No coffee table. Do I sound like I'm whining? I don't mean to be. It's really so far beyond my control that I'm actually okay with it.

What do you think? I'm going to start hunting the garage sales for the right book covers.... as soon as I decide on colors.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of color book collections, I'll have to look into that! I would think even some deep orange books might look good with a green and gold! I love those colors, too. My house is primarily earthy red, green and brown tones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I love your pillows! It allows you to add a lot like colored books, frames, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the coloured book groupings too. My husband and I have two big shelves full of books that I've been wanting to color categorize for a while now. You've inspired me to get it done!

    Hope your poor house is back in order soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make sure you hit the library book sales. You could find every color you need at one of those. I love that idea by the way. Can't wait to see the colors you choose.

    ReplyDelete

I love comment-love! Share with me. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...